About Me

My photo
As a teenager, I subscribed to the notion that one should "retire" (read: celebrate life) in his twenties so he could learn from the world less encumbered by material trappings and only then should he settle in to adulthood. The world may be a more compassionate place. This, I believe, is true luxury. I am now in my forties.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Walk

There is a war out there. There is war in here. 
There is war in my heart 
About this place I love. 
Where the majority of people 
With the means and tools to understand 
Would prefer to live in darkness. 
To accept the war for their benefit. 
They drive in oversized vehicles 
Consumed by consumption. 
Consumed by the images and self-interests of an unregulated corporate communism. 
Where each individual accepts the opiate of society 
Striving to dictate every like, dislike. 
Striving for ignorance among its people 
Striving for complacency 
Comfort in the over-abundance of materials 
Plundered from converted export economies of already 
Impoverished nations, 
Who see their best land ransomed to the highest bidder 
And their harvests siphoned in the same direction— Away from them. 
Acceptance of corporate culture 
Power still in the hands of a few 
Blinded by the misrepresentation of words such as: 
Freedom Liberty Patriotism 
Freedom for whom? 
Liberty for whom? 
Defending the interests of whom? 
Those same few. 
I am one of those few. 
I take no comfort. I take no comfort in something forcibly taken from others 
And people around me just sit in front of the opiate 
Admire their big guzzling SUVs, 
“Supersized” meals, bottled water, 
And “teardown” houses. 
One upping their neighbor, 
Their ex-spouse. 

There is a war out there. 
There is a war in here. 
We are the instigators. 
We are the perpetrators. 
We are our worst enemy. 
It is time to walk 
To continue walking in the direction of change, 
In the direction of an inclusive world; 
Dispel the myths of fundamentalism. 
Myths that bind the heart, 
Blind the eye 
And drown out the diversity of life. 
I choose to walk.

1 comment:

MLB said...

And you are! Thank you for following such strong instincts.