About Me

My photo
As a teenager, I subscribed to the notion that one should "retire" (read: celebrate life) in his twenties so he could learn from the world less encumbered by material trappings and only then should he settle in to adulthood. The world may be a more compassionate place. This, I believe, is true luxury. I am now in my forties.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Fireman's Funeral


A fire raged through the remnants of the Deutsche Bank in Lower Manhattan on Saturday. Two fire fighters succumbed to the flames. Thursday morning was the memorial service one of the men. He grew up just a few blocks from my place. Fort Hamilton Parkway was blocked off from 9 am to 1 pm. Firefighters from across the city arrived in formal attire.


Firemen, five rows deep, lined the street for three blocks leading to the church. The cadets in light blue faced them on the opposite side of the street. There was a complete and solemn silence for 20 minutes as the funeral procession passed. Camera crews watched on. The musicians played "Taps"on the bag pipes. Their sounds resonated through the pa system. Once the church was filled, the funeral service could be heard on the street.


No comments: