About Me

My photo
As a teenager, I subscribed to the notion that one should "retire" (read: celebrate life) in his twenties so he could learn from the world less encumbered by material trappings and only then should he settle in to adulthood. The world may be a more compassionate place. This, I believe, is true luxury. I am now in my forties.

Friday, November 13, 2015

Dying River

Dying River

She flows
Through mountains and deserts
Carving canyons over eons
40 million depend
To irrigate and drink
The great, sprawling cities
Denver, Las Vegas,
Salt Lake, Phoenix, Tuscan,
LA, and San Diego consume
This finite source
Based on archaic law
Written a century before
"Use it, or lose it"
The rights held dear
By the progeny
Of those first white settlers
Who forged the land
At the expense of those native.
Now sick and depleted
Her flow trickles
And ends before reaching the sea.

No comments: